Thursday, December 13, 2007

Year in Review #3

Continuing with my review of year-long goals set for 2007. Still in business section:
  • I have over forty images in giclee reproduction. Widespread distribution throughout the country (and beyond) is imperative. The images should be in every race track, gift shop, tack shop, feed store, frame shop - and any other outlet we can get them into.
This was easier said than done. Michael and I attempted to acquire a state a week. In retrospect, the giclees are still relatively pricey as opposed to poster-type prints which abound. That cold hard fact eliminated many venues. We also discovered that potential clients desire to see the product in person, up front, for real, to be assured that it's viable merchandise of quality worthy of the price structure. Mailing the giclees for inspection is price prohibitive and invites all manner of possible complications. We've logged close to 20,000 miles of travel this year for marketing, gallery orders, client orders, moving work from one place to another, etc. As Barney Davey states: how do you acquire clients? One at a time...

  • 2006 was the first year that I made a concrete positive shift in my attitude about bookkeeping and marketing. I love the left-brained me that I didn't know existed! My first year of keeping books was a learning experience and is improving. As for marketing, my goal is to read books and materials, network, take courses, attend seminars - whatever it takes to continue to grow my business.
Done! Bookkeeping has become a pleasant habit. Tackled daily, it's a cinch. I accomplish a feeling of control and scrutinize my financial health (or lack). Marketing is an ongoing endeavor. I continue to read the latest buzz books and attend as many seminars as I can. I attended the Bruce Baker Workshop, Alyson Stanfield Workshop and the Southern Regional Conference on Self-Employment in the Arts. Founding "Out of Hand Artists" business and marketing artist salon was a huge accomplishment for me this year and it continues to expand. More on that one later...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Quite envious of your brain being able to handle the business side. Impossible for me.

Anyway just wanted to thank you for saying nice things about my photos & if you were serious about using anything go right ahead!
will keep reading you blog now...

Sharon Crute said...

Thanks for visiting my blog Andrea.

It took me a long time to figure out that if I desired to make a living from my artwork, I had to realize that it was a business just like any other, and had to be managed that way.