Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Day 23 - Forty Paintings in Forty Days

I painted on a stretched canvas today. After becoming familiar with the slick surface of the panels and loving it, the canvas felt awkward. The fabric is 12 oz. with a defined tooth that grabs onto a thick bristle brush full of paint. Great for large pieces. I've been using soft hair brushes on the panels and I think they enhanced my ability to loosen up.

To compensate, I rubbed the surface with a mixture of linseed oil and turps. That decreased the drag and was helpful but the soft brushes still struggled to fill the weave while the bristle brushes felt clumsy and not very malleable. I've just about used up all my panels so this will be interesting.

Here's another ancient building, the maintenance office. Odd diagonal shadows fell across the surface from the giant pines off to the left and I sketched them in quickly as they would soon change or be gone. Originally, I wanted to paint the other side with more interest but I couldn't find any shade to set up in. We're having a lovely warm and sunny summer so no complaints!

Maintenance Building, 11"x14", oil on canvas
Pharoah arrived today and the frenzy begins. We've been told to expect over 15,000 people Friday morning as the Travers entrants gallop between 8-9.

We're all paparazzi for a few days,
Sharon

No comments: