Sunday, January 04, 2009

Dynamic Canine Paintings

As I've mentioned previously, I received more doggie commissions this recent holiday season that ever before. Go figure. I hope I don't have to change my brand to dynamic canine artist.

Are you aware of some of the canine paintings executed by notable artists of other specific genres? A few examples:

Perhaps a precious pet of can-can companion...

Toulouse-Lautrec Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec, "Touc, Seated on a Table", c. 1879-1881

Or, the pet of a secret lover...

John Singer SargentJohn Singer Sargent, "Pointy"

And one of my favorite canine AND equine British artists:

Sir Edwin LandseerSir Edwin Landseer, "A Toy Terrier Looking Out of a Kennel", c. 1837

Forgive me, but I often think George Stubbs should have concentrated his talents on dog paintings instead of the horse. This one, exquisite...

George Stubbs, "King Charles Spaniel"

George StubbsSharon Crute, "Chihuahuas", oil on canvas, 16"x20", c. 2009

"My little dog - a heartbeat at my feet." - Edith Wharton

3 comments:

Robin Roberts said...

Sharon - wherever did you find the Sargent "Pointy" dog painting?? All your examples are cool, and I enjoy your Chihuahuas and the horses in the landscape just as much.

Anonymous said...

You're making these posts impossible to top.
Not that I'm asking you in any way to diminish your talent, your research, your education of your readers, or your dynamic canine portraits.
Just sayin'.
You're amazin'.

Also love that Sargent dog.

Will be very happy Chihuahua owners.

Sharon Crute said...

Robin - just Google Sargent "Pointy" and you'll get lots of info, including the provenance and gossip of Sargent's alleged affair with the daughter of his collector.
Thank you so much for stopping by!

Bonnie: no one, but no one, can ever top your most affable and contentment-inducing blog. We all love it and look forward to every post (which aren't nearly often enough).