Sunday, May 09, 2010

For Your Consideration...

Ever see a copy of Variety before the Academy Awards? Lots of wooing and courting going on in those full page ads.

In a couple of weeks I'll be full-bore schmoozing as I vie for the attention of vendors at ArtPrize. Ever heard of this? It's an amazing art project that takes place within a three-square mile radius in downtown Grand Rapids, Michigan. From September 22nd to October 10th, artists from the entire planet take over the city. The organizers of the event step out of the picture after venues and artists have registered. "Venues" are exhibit spaces offered by both private and public entities. It's then up to the venues and artists to become smitten with each other.

I entered "Diagonal". That's the big nine-canvas piece that currently sits languishing in pieces in my painting rack. Even my downtown studio ceilings are not tall enough to accommodate. I've had the opportunity to exhibit it twice and I must say, it's impressive. So far, my magnus opus.

oil painting
Okay, I know that painting is passe with the art history/museum curator/trade mag/auction house or otherwise snooty art intelligentsia (you know, those who don't create art but supposedly are the know-all, end-all insiders with dubious opinions). But an amazing painting by Ran Ortner took the whole enchilada last year and that provided enough conviction to enter.

Which leads me to the good stuff: the winners are chosen by public vote. People's choice. And the people still like paintings.

"True, I've been a long time making up my mind, but now I'm giving you a definite answer. I won't say yes, and I won't say no - but I'm giving you a definite maybe." - Samuel Goldwyn

1 comment:

Sandra Koster said...

Magnus Opus indeed, and I totally like this photo of you with "Diagonal" as a painting as well.