Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Reception Tonight

The opening reception for the Florida Thoroughbred Charities Equine Art Exhibit 2008 is today, October 1st. Viewing begins at 2:30 with a "meet and greet" the artists between 4:30 and 6:30. All this takes place at the Florida Thoroughbred Breeders' and Owners' Association at 801 SW 60th Ave. in Ocala.

Michael has assembled a diverse group of artists representing painting styles from realism to abstract. Same for sculpture. Besides my huge piece "Diagonal", I've added this painting that I blogged about a couple of weeks ago.

thoroughbred painting"On the Grass" oil on canvas, 34" x 60"

I'm pleased with the color. Throughout the years I've studied Johannes Itten and Josef Albers along with color field painters Ellsworth Kelly and Morris Louis. I recall a painting teacher making us cut up expensive Color Aid paper for projects to duplicate Itten's color theories. His book "The Art of Color" became my studio bible.

In the last few years I've discovered a modern colorist, Nita Leland. Not academic as the aforementioned, her book "Exploring Color" is still fun to browse through.

"Only those who love color are admitted to its beauty and immanent presence. It affords utility to all, but unveils its deeper mysteries only to its devotees". - Johannes Itten

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's plain to see from the painting displayed on your blog that you're a consummate colorist. Thanks for mentioning my book. I hope you'll look at my new one, just out: Confident Color, which deals more with creative ways of using color based on the logic of color.

Sharon Crute said...

Nita!

I'm honored that you've visited my blog. Your book, "Exploring Color" lives on my painting table and is an excellent neighbor to my color wheel. I refer to it often, especially loving your limited palette suggestions. But the bombs I hurl into every painting are the split complementary techniques, and if doubled wisely, achieve the biggest bang for my paint tube buck.

Thank you, thank you for writing such a clear, concise and inspiring book. And I'm checking out the new book now!

Anonymous said...

How you don't use a slide rule to calculate all the formulas that you so effortlessly incorporate into every one of your works, is confounding to me.

It just comes out of you like these thunderheads out of the gate- explosive.

Stunning, stunning.

Sharon Crute said...

You are too kind, too kind, Bonnie!

If I could only be so naturally intellectual - ha! Dogged perseverance, gal, hard-headed dogged perseverance. If you only knew hard I hit the books and must return to them over and over...