Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Experimenting

One of the many benefits of my artists salon, "Out of Hand Artists", is the inspiration gleaned from each other. Gathering together at different members studios every other week is something I really look forward to. We exchange information, network, fill each other in on what's occurring in the arts and with ourselves, support and suggest, drink wine and just be a group of professional artists in very good company. Did I mention we all kick back with a glass or two of wine?

OoHA member Carlynne Hershberger creates highly textured, beautifully pigmented abstracts that give reference to tangible places in nature, but mostly exist in luscious form, movement and color. She and her studio/workshop partner Kelli Money Huff published a North Light Book last year, "Creative Colored Pencil Workshop". But the book is about much more. Inside you'll find fascinating exercises combining colored pencils with other mediums and of course - finger loving texture.

You could say Carlynne inspired me to put away the oils for a bit and play.

horse painting"Cavorting" 10"x13", mixed media

The image was rendered in acrylics which are not my medium as the oiler in me wants to work wet-in-wet. I found my way around that dilemma by using a very large brush, painting simply and quickly. But the real fun was going crazy with the texture. Applying both silver and gold leaf, glass beads acrylic texture gel along with a bit of black lava texture gel and many layers later, I was smiling. I felt as good as the horse kicking up the glass and metal surf.

"Paint like you're retired." - Carlynne Hershberger (Carlynne and Kelli's blog can be accessed at my list to the right.)

3 comments:

Carlynne Hershberger, CPSA said...

Sharon!!! How cool is that! I love it and the post. Thanks so much for the mention and the very kind words. It looks like you had a ton of fun painting that piece and isn't that what it's all about - the process. I want to see it and run my hands over it.
Carlynne

Nancy Moskovitz, artist said...

Whoah! Love that glass.

Sharon Crute said...

Lynne: I had a blast. Somehow, I just can't imagine how, bits of silver leaf began to cover the entire house. When a visiting neighbor ended up with some on the tip of her nose, I knew I had arrived into the mad, mad world of mixed media!

Nancy: I've had that glass gel forever, never finding good use for it. Note: it makes great boiling water.