Friday, August 31, 2007

Old News from Saratoga

I'm back home in Ocala with photos to post. As I mentioned, new laptop - no card reader, no imaging software. Next trip things are gonna change...

hard spunHard Spun being led by Larry Jones to saddle for the King's Bishop.

Another season comes to a close at Saratoga. Sigh. I'm already planning next year. If I can find a place to stay that will let me bring my cats, I'll do the entire meet.

street senseStreet Sense and Calvin Borel walking together before being legged up for the Travers Stakes.

I got some great shots of Street Sense paddock side. He has the cool demeanor of a champ, yet there's something wild, volatile and dangerous about him. Stubborn and ornery as well. Calvin knows this.

for your reppoCinchy "For Your Reppo", another Travers contender.

Michael bet on Grasshopper, but wouldn't do an exacta as he figured Street Sense would pull off the Travers. I didn't realize until later that my clients, Four Roses Thoroughbreds owned Helsinki. The trifecta. Damn, I've got to start paying attention to pertinent things.

peter williamsArtist Peter Williams painting in the paddock at Saratoga.

equine artistArtist Sharon Crute painting on Broadway in Saratoga.

I painted out on the sidewalk for four days. It's difficult to concentrate on the painting but that's not what this is about. I interact and chat with passersby while networking and conducting business. Some of the people I meet are fascinating and I always pick up some commission work. People want to know about the process, the inspiration and how it's all created. They love to hear the stories and what I'm thinking about when I decide to start a piece. Children especially will not pass by without dragging their parents over to see. I have an opportunity to understand how the viewer reacts to my painting and what questions or reactions they may experience but might be too shy to voice. I encourage dialog by breaking the ice with a simple friendly greeting. In pushing the envelope and striking out in new areas with my artwork, this interaction is vitally important to me. I need to see and feel these initial reactions.

No comments: