Friday, January 19, 2007

Always a Bridesmaid?

I've been listening to some mixed reactions from horse people concerning the $10,000 minimum opening bid for the preferred consignments. It's supposed to elevate the quality of the "select" session. Some were concerned that some horses received no bids, others thought it was a great idea, and still others grumbled that OBS is trying to compete with Keeneland. Please. Kentucky is still "it" when it comes to horse breeding. Our best mares in Ocala are on Kentucky's bottom rung. However, as elitist as that sounds, Ocala is second in the thoroughbred breeding business and always nipping at Ky's heels. Florida-bred runners reign as competent contenders.
It was a perfect weather and a good excuse to get out of the studio. I'm simultaneously working on the multi-canvas piece and preliminary comps for an awesome mural.

I've organized an artist's "salon" with the direction of Alyson B. Stanfield. We have our first meeting this coming Monday. The emphasis is on marketing and business which is an aspect of an artist's career that's usually sorely lacking. Stuff not taught in art school. After I attended an intensive Bruce Baker workshop last year, I was amazed at how much I didn't know about my own business. I made the decision to get pro-active immediately and discovered that I really enjoy taking control of my business. I want to spread the word that although it's a huge amount of work, the process and resultant rewards are amazing.

No comments: