Thursday, October 23, 2008

Fun with Photoshop

Babush and I are like-minded girlfriends these days. We'd like nothing other than to just laze around in the cooling breeze and ponder what's for dinner...

calico catOld 35mm photo of Bay Meadows, circa 1990 with Michael galloping a horse on the training track. That's the dreaded 101 freeway in the background in San Mateo, California. Bay Meadows is now defunct and I wonder what's becoming of all my memories - the great, the terrible, and the bizarre. Oh the 90's drama ...
bay meadowsI scanned the photo and pulled it into Photoshop to manipulate with all those intriguing, wacky filters. Accidentally discovering a warm fog-like image, I decided that it would make a good oil sketch to test out an Ampersand Gessobord I purchased. I've been testing several different panels for another multi-piece project I have in the cooker. The panels must be rigid and this one is cradled, meaning it has a two-inch deep frame. Surface is akin to sanded pastel paper. I like it the best so far.

The paint is still very wet and I'll have to re-shoot in a few days when the shiny areas blend in...

ampersand gessobord As yet untitled, 11"x14" oil on panel

Michael was a "big boy" in exercise terms and I made him smaller, jock-like. Originally opting for this analogous color scheme to test out a tube of iridescent copper oil I purchased from Gamblin, it dries VERY quickly and gets VERY tacky and yucky. Interesting results were obtained with mixing in various colors, however, but I became focused on the hot cadmium colors and soon forgot all about it. It sits neglected on my palette for now.

So easily distracted...

Whenever I think of the past, it brings back so many memories.
- Steven Wright

No comments: