Friday, July 13, 2007

New Painting

Street Sense Winning the 2007 Kentucky Derby"
oil on canvas 16"x20"

Bess Sanders, owner extraordinaire of Gallery Central in Hot Springs, asked me awhile back to do a painting of the sheer exuberance portrayed by Calvin Borel when he won this year's Kentucky Derby. She attended the Derby and, with excellent seats at ground level going into the clubhouse turn, witnessed first hand all the joy. "Joy" seems to be a word directed at me from certain individuals this year - hmmm, I should take note. But lest I digress...

I had reservations due to the short attention spans prevalent in this industry. I'm concerned that Street Sense may be an "also ran", especially with all the attention garnered by the filly "Rag to Riches". Which means this painting won't sell. Michael says I'm not giving Street Sense the credit he deserves. Hopefully, the Travers Stakes will squelch any uncertainties. However, it's still history and Calvin is a great story unto himself. And besides, Bess knows her clientele and Calvin is one of the perennial leading riders at Oaklawn.

No comments: