Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Realizing Intent

There's no use complaining about the weather. Almost the entire country is affected by the extreme cold and up here in the northeast...snow...lots of it. I simply cannot paint outdoors as some artists are able - my hands and right shoulder are beginning to exhibit the signs of a lifetime of repetitive motion. I'm okay with this as I consider this cabin-bound time important for study and practice.

And study I have. My dear artist friend Robert Stebleton suggested books by David Curtis of the U.K. which further led to books by Curtis' teacher, Trevor Chamberlain. I resonate with the simple, common-sense instruction by Chamberlain and will say his teaching and paintings have had a huge influence on the shifts I choose to make in my work. I'm finally experiencing some clarity after considerable floundering.

As Michael nails it: "...spot staring and wandering aimlessly." That perfectly sums up my state of mind for the past year.

Chamberlain suggests: "It's worth having a supply of boards that you have prepared yourself, and which you don't feel are too precious, to experiment and practise on, and for doing quick colour sketches of things that interest you." Fortuitously, I recently received a pile of old masonite panels that will serve his advice quite well.

Here are a couple of the better experiments:

Not quite as loose as I'd like, but my color and light is improving.
 I am pleased with the spontaneous, fluid brushwork of the Geese:
Alas, this week I'm back painting another greyhound and it looks like another will follow. Certainly helps keep the heat on in this winter of extremes. So very grateful!

Introspection and unmerciful examination are the rule of the season.

In long underwear,
Sharon

No comments: