Sunday, March 27, 2011

The Four Elements

I'm callin' it. After working on the buggy things I previously mentioned, I decided to sign it and step away from the easel. Some artist friends suggested that I remove the background horse on the right. Seriously considering that idea for awhile, I decided doing so would  force that strong diagonal-leftward-thrust again and shift the focal point. Instead, I repainted that crazy horse head that serves as an anchor for the lunging horse. The expression remains feigned annoyance.
 
 The Four Elements  oil on canvas, 48"x58"

"If I see an ending, I can work backwards." - Arthur Miller 

2 comments:

Rae Johnson said...

It has been interesting watching you work on "The Four Elements". The image is almost poetic. I have to admit that I also can not see a reason for the fourth horse on the right. He is not attractive and, to me, does not add anything to the scene. But, I think it is one of your better paintings, one to be proud of. Good luck to you. Rae Johnson

Sharon Crute said...

Thank you Rae. As I said, I did deliberate over the omission of that horse. But thinking like an artist (instead of the neutral and usually wiser observer) I decided to leave it in for composition sake.