Monday, November 22, 2010

The Market Has NoTaste

As an avid fan of marketing guru Seth Godin, I subscribe to his blog and eagerly read each updated post. I hope he doesn't mind me sharing his short but effective essay that spoke volumes...hey, it's what I've been talking about. How apropos:

When it comes to art, to human work that changes people, the mass market is a fool. A dolt. Stupid.

If you wait for the market to tell you that you're great, you'll merely end up wasting time. Or perhaps instead you will persuade yourself to ship the merely good, and settle for the tepid embrace of the uninvolved.

Great work is always shunned at first.

Would we (the market) benefit from more pandering by marketers churning out average stuff that gets a quick glance, or would we all be better off with passionate renegades on a mission to fulfill their vision?

"I am an idealist. I don't know where I'm going but I'm on the way." - Carl Sandburg

BUY ART!

No comments: