Sunday, December 13, 2015

Full Circle

 “Horses make a landscape look beautiful.” ― Alice Walker

I took advantage of the amazingly warm weather we're enjoying up here in the arctic circle. Temps were in the 50's and that's toasty enough to haul out my plein air easel and get some fresh air.
.
Listening, 8"x10", oil on panel, plein air

I'm painting what I know. Seems obvious but I struggled with this deceptively simple concept on many intriguing levels. Desiring to move away from equine art, especially horse racing, I set out on a journey of exploration with an attitude. It's always conducive to artistic growth to step away from our comfort zones. However, spending last summer intensively painting plein air at the Oklahoma barn area at Saratoga raised some serious questions concerning my direction as an artist. And then there was that little documentary about the Indian Relays that set my heart soaring and my creative juices on fire!

You could say I've come full circle.

So, about my piece: I set up to paint in horse country, close by McMahon Thoroughbreds and Saratoga Glen Farm. My chosen site was a crumbling old farm with decent pastures that appear to be leased out to board a few well-maintained broodmares.

Here's the glorious thing about painting solo outdoors: your senses become hyper-sensitive and hear every little rustle, far off rumble and creature calls. I heard a faint, distant neigh and so did the subject of my painting.

And a not few moos, either.
Sharon

1 comment:

Jo Castillo said...

This made me smile on a busy morning. Thank you.