Monday, December 01, 2014

Greyhounds Revisited

I've received a commission to paint three more greyhounds. Two have arrived and the third is in the mold. Because they require acrylics, not my favorite medium, I'm surprised that I'm actually looking forward to this project. A revisitation of sorts.

A very large freightliner for a smallish box:


Well, maybe not that small.
My anthropomorphic relationship with these hounds could be based on the designs to be painted. I'm sure not all artists would agree, but I tend to develop a kindred relationship with all my subjects. While I'm concentrating on form and shape and color and all the other academic necessities of painting, something else is going on in the background. The brushstrokes evolve into caresses, invoke empathy that shouldn't exist on a two dimensional surface and we...bond. I have privy access. An intimacy ensues as I fall in love with my subject.

See?

But then like a fickle lover I'm finished with you and off to the next project.
Sharon

No comments: