Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Fiery Passions

Ever drive down the highway and see those poor souls in the breakdown lane with their vehicle on fire? Like me, do you wonder: "...how awful, how does something like that happen?" Well, now I know.

It was a surreal site to behold...
Michael and I were on our way to pick up some frames before leaving for the Finger Lakes Plein Air Competition last Tuesday. The van was almost fully packed except for a few extras -a  cooler full of food and beverages and a large commissioned painting I was to meet a client for delivery. After a suspect odor began wafting through the vents (Michael remarked that it smelled like "fur burning") we veered off at the next exit to investigate. Smoke was already pouring out from under the hood. Skipping over the next few minutes of desperate details, we both got out safely but the van was fully engulfed in flames by the time the fire department arrived.

The fire men stated that we'll probably never be able to determine the exact cause due to the intense heat and destruction. That fur burning smell is suspect however...those cute little mice with racing stripes who possess a compulsive need to chew could have worked their mischief on wires that were not meant to be crossed.

Not much left but a metal frame. Even the hood disintegrated from the heat. Besides our only vehicle, I lost six original paintings, paint, easels, canvases, tools, clothes, camping equipment, etc. As the week progressed we'd recall what else was torched.
My poor shocked sweetie saying goodbye as the van is pulled onto the tow truck
It was traumatic but we're so blessed and grateful to have escaped unscathed. It's just stuff that will be replaced, even the paintings. Perhaps I'll create better ones from the ashes. A dear friend generously loaned us their mini van and we were able to travel to Canandaigua, albeit a day late. I know you want to know about my first plein air competition experience and I'm happy to share on the next post.

Fire in the hole!
Sharon

4 comments:

Linda Shantz said...

Holy cr*p Sharon! So glad you both are okay, but wow! Scary!

Jo Castillo said...

OMG!! Great that you are OK. Whew! You have a great attitude. Thinking of you.

Alyson Stanfield said...

Yikes! I'm so glad you are safe. That does not look good.

Sharon Crute said...

Thank you so much everyone. Life goes onward and I'm putting this experience in my history book. It will be a great topic to discuss at parties...with pictures!