Sunday, March 09, 2014

Winter Blahs Be Gone

After an insufferably long and frigid winter up here in the north country, I'm ready to get cranking. Some new opportunities have presented a respite from the dark and cold hibernation season. The positive side to all this is the necessity to stay in the studio and get some serious painting done. And I have.

Three commissions, a foxhunting piece and a Saratoga inspired painting are completed. Another racing canvas is in the works and that should - should - take me up to warmer weather. The racing paintings will become giclees and a possible poster for the track meet this summer. Something for those of you who visit my booth every year and ask "so what have you got new?"

After my tentative foray into plein air painting in the paddock and in the stable area last summer, I continued to paint outside until it became too cold. Okay, I'm a weenie and went back inside when temps dropped below forty degrees. However, I absolutely loved it! Loved it enough to get the nerve to apply to my first plein air competition being held in Finger Lakes, NY in June. To my astonishment, I was accepted! Let me tell you that I will be in excellent, experienced company. (begin nail biting)

Dusk at the Lake, 11"x14" oil on canvas plein air

One of my steeplechase paintings has been chosen by the High Hope Steeplechase in Lexington, KY for their program cover. Last year the meet was cancelled so I'm thrilled it's back as it's one of my favorite venues. My artwork will be rotated lengthwise to accommodate their format. Should be an interesting design.


Here's a photo of the creek less than fifty yards from our new house. Taken just today so you don't think I'm a total wimp for not getting out and painting...yet.

Think spring!
Sharon

No comments: