Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Graffiti and Other Masterworks

As I fumble around my paint box, flummoxed and forlorn, I wish I had begun my young painting career as an illegal street artist, stealthily stalking substrates off limits.

Okay, that's enough of that. There's a lot of luck in this game...serendipitously finding yourself in the right place, in perfect timing and landing in the company of some very, very helpful people. Talent and ability are often secondary. Frustration abounds for the workaholics (me) who take themselves way too seriously (me) and continuously bang their exhausted heads against the graffitied wall (me).

Consider Basquiat...then Banksy...and now KAWS aka Brian Donnelly. If I were a street artist like KAWS, Macy's would ask ME to design a colorless balloon for the big day (I'd call it Buddy) and I'd have MY few minutes of fame on the CBS Sunday Morning show. Cool, huh?


And for the record, I absolutely adore Banksy and his artwork. I'll never, ever be this cool. Damn.


Just sayin',
Sharon

No comments: