Sunday, July 17, 2016

Butterflies

All last week we began to prepare for our six week exhibit at the Saratoga Race Course. The tent is up and the grid walls and lights are in place. As I write this today, I'm feeling a mix of anticipation and nerves. So many vendors, not just us artists, have invested an enormous chunk of time and money to ensure a quality product and/or service and are now fussing over the presentation of such. I want my tent to be pleasing and welcoming. My originals are for sale with galleries this season, which leaves us to sell the giclees and the sublimation products. This was my intention.

My husband and business partner, Michael Bray, is the most reliable fellow workaholic I know. He has lived with this demanding perfectionist for over thirty-five years and rises above my expectations to produce top-quality products. After all, the images on the products are reproductions of my original paintings. While I realize that the substrate will cause differences in color and contrast, I still choose to sell something I can be proud of. I also don't mind cropping, as long as it isn't a nose, a foot or a tail and the composition remains strong.

We've always worked well together, even back when he was training horses. I know how blessed we are (at least I am).

In addition to the products and their display, there is the consideration of inventory tracking. With so much new merchandise that offers a wide choice of images, this, I think, is going to be a work in progress. PLU's and bar coding may be implemented later as we have focused our concentration on creating and displaying the product. Sometimes I feel a bit of trepidation as I wonder if we don't offer too many choices. However, that may be the very asset that helped our giclee reproduction business become so successful. If we can launch this new machine and keep it running smoothly, which I believe with all conviction that will happen, then we'll have added another dimension to what I call my "art business."

This Friday, baby. This Friday, the 22nd.
Sharon

No comments: