Thursday, August 20, 2015

Day 20 - Forty Paintings in Forty Days

I'm intrigued by all these little square buildings scattered around the barn area. I'm sure they've served many uses over the generations - housing machinery, tack rooms, feed rooms, offices, dorms or just plain storage. Most are still in use. Some have old signage and one has a loving plaque honoring an angel who passed. A house I particularly love is a feeding station for feral cats but that's on my painting list and it's a good story I'll share with you when I get to it.

Everything is so green up here in the arctic circle. For now. The building way in back is one of the renovated dorms that NYRA and MaryLou Whitney have renovated in recent years. The dorms circle the outskirts of the barn area and contrast with the old wooden architecture.

Dorm in Back, 8"x10", oil on panel
I intentionally added the utility poles as I wanted to play with the wires. Because I'm experimenting with ground vs. no ground this panel was painted directly on white gesso and I was able to scrape out the wires with the tip of my palette knife. Generally I use a burnt sienna ground but lately I like the look of my transparent paints on the white ground.

Wish I had used more venetian red in my greens to calm them down. Fact is, I didn't use any.

It's not easy being green,
Sharon

No comments: