Friday, May 01, 2009

My Derby and Oaks Pick

chocolate candyAs much as horse racing is my passion and muse, my focus has been targeted toward maintaining the momentum in progress regarding my artwork. Recovering from the past several months of inertia experienced not just by moi, but most artists in general, let's say I'm back in the fray with nostrils flaring and a single-minded conviction to recoup success.

However, this is a blog about "horse racing" and the Derby and Oaks have crept up and are staring me in the face.

Freisan Fire looks like a monster and I'd love to see Larry take it. He's a fine horseman who sincerely loves his horses and deserves better than what came his way after last year's fiasco.

Michael galloped on and off for Jerry Hollendorfer during our California years. The Dorf's had several go's at derbydom including the 1996 attempt with Afleetaffair. Michael galloped that nice stake horse as well as Pike Place Dancer, winner of the Oaks the same year. They've kept in touch and have an interesting history, therefore I'd love to see Chocolate Candy take it. In fact, he should be a nice price worth a few bucks and a place in exotics.

I'm not a gambler in the pari-mutual sense, therefore, with racing in dire need of another hero, or, heroine, Rachel Alexandra is my pick for the Oaks.

"My filly responded to everything I asked for. And she runs on anything. I've always loved her." - John Valazquez, winner aboard Ashado for the 130th Oaks (2004)

No comments: