Thursday, May 14, 2009

Jumpin' for Joy

Reminder:

If you're in or around Lexington, Kentucky this coming Sunday the 17th, it will be a great day of racing and tons of other enjoyable events at the High Hope Steeplechase in the Kentucky Horse Park. I'll be exhibiting in the Vendor Village.

I really cut it close on this one. Just painted the last of the gallery wrap yesterday and we leave tomorrow for Lexington. I'll pack it in parchment paper - no lint, little sticking. Impasto Liquin was mixed into my paint abundantly. Love that stuff, I squeeze it out onto my palette and it stays put like a blob of paint.

steeplechase"High Hope", oil on canvas, 24"x30"

There could be more expressive brushwork - guess my mind was on organizing for the show instead of feeling the sensation of going very fast over hurdles. However, I'm quite pleased with the vibrant color.

Talked to Chris McCarron this afternoon and he said he'd stop by if he had a chance. We're taking a box of "Hold Your Horses" along to give out in my booth. It's a promising new equine-themed magazine recently started up here in Ocala but it's going national quickly.

I'm so excited to be going on a road trip finally, it's like coming out of hibernation. Some of my best inspiration results from the boredom of those long hours watching the scenery go by. Go figure.

"What's your road, man?--holyboy road, madman road, rainbow road, guppy road, any road. It's an anywhere road for anybody anyhow." - Jack Kerouac, On the Road

No comments: