Saturday, May 09, 2009

Getting Ready for Lexington

It's a syndrome. The "just one more painting" cram for an upcoming exhibit. I'm referring to my show next weekend at the High Hope Steeplechase at the Kentucky Horse Park in Lexington, KY. Seems sensible to offer a steeplechase painting for sale at a steeplechase, right? The question is, will I get it finished in time...

steeplechase paintingin progress oil on canvas, 24"x30"

It's a bit tighter than I've been working over the past few months which means I'm getting bogged down in the details. You can see my chalk lines for the hedge behind the horse on the right and in the hurdle. Relevance to the locale seemed fitting, so I studied online photos of the Horse Park. No campers, trucks, tents or other diversions litter the infield of this pristine course.

For fun, a nighttime sketch:

oil sketch painting"Did You Hear That?" oil on board, 11"x14"

Each handicap is like a hurdle in a steeplechase, and when you ride up to it, if you throw your heart over, the horse will go along, too. - Lawrence Bixby

No comments: