Friday, December 05, 2008

Season of the Dog

I'm generally protective of my client's privacy, but this commission is for a friend who granted me permission to post. I've received several commissions for dog portraits this year. Actually, more than ever. Doggies rule in 2008 .

The dog on the right has huge ears. I've painted them smaller, however, that may be his endearing quality.

welsh corgiThe start of two beloved corgis, 16x20 oil .

I would rather see the portrait of a dog that I know, than all the allegorical paintings they can show me in the world” -- Samuel Johnson

3 comments:

Unknown said...

oh i like it..
.now why did you paint his ears smaller ?
So now you are one of the Queens (dog) portrait painters?

Sharon Crute said...

Andrea, someone informed me recently that those short-legged Jack Russells are the result of a long-ago liason with one of the Queen's corgis. True?

I'm re-painting the corgi on the right, huge ears and all.

Unknown said...

i have to say I have never heard of the JR/corgi connection...& I think the Queen would be quite appalled at the idea!
The painting is lovely...'She' will love it.
(Must be hard not having met the dogs..do you know if your idea of their individual characters is correct?)