Thursday, October 30, 2008

Louise Nevelson

louise nevelsonA few posts back I raised the question of inviting ANY three living people to dinner. One comment came from artist extraordinaire Bonnie Luria of the St. Croix-nicity blog at right (check it out, one of my very favorite blogs). She stated that she would consider Louise Nevelson - believing she is an "iconoclast, an original". Even though Ms. N. has passed on, Bonnie got me reminiscing. Nevelson was alive and on fire in the New York art scene back in the early '70's when I was a student. An authentic pioneer, totally innovative and a flamboyant talent, I easily recall her matte black found object pieces at MOMA. "Sky Cathedral" is impressed on my brain forever and informed this young art student that there were infinite impressions of space and form, and that everyday materials could be arranged in compelling, provocative and genius original expression.

So, I'm further inspired to read the bio: Louise Nevelson: A Passionate Life. About a third of the way through, I'm amazed at how she escaped from stereotypical wifedom/motherhood in the '30's to travel to Europe to study with Hans Hoffman (the push-pull theorist). Speaking of Hoffman, my painting teacher studied with Hoffman at the Art Students League. It took me many years to really understand what the hell push-pull meant in a painting.

Nevelson didn't acquire real fame until into her sixties, so there's still hope for me!

sky beauty"Sky Cathedral" - Louise Nevelson

"I never feel age... If you have creative work, you don't have age or time". - Louise Nevelson

3 comments:

Nancy Moskovitz, artist said...

We are of the same vintage; I remember the Louise Nevelson hoopla very well.....also Andy Warhol. It was a time of breaking all the rules. These movements come in cycles. Thanks for the memories.

Anonymous said...

Sharon- thanks so much for the mention and the link. Always an honor to get a nod on your blog.
The company you keep, etc.


I saw the Nevelson exhibit two summers ago ( might have been the Whitney, hard to recall, I did umpteen museums in as many days ) but was knocked out by her fearless and grand style.

PS- If my memory wasn't obliterated, I might even have remembered that she passed...)

Sharon Crute said...

Nancy, those were the days, heh? I was so fortunate to actually meet and talk with Helen Frankenthaler, Robert de Niro (dad), Neil Welliver, Janet Fish and Rackstraw Downes in my NY days. No Nevelson although she was on everyone's mind. Geesh, who have I met lately...

Bonnie, it's a sincere honor.