Saturday, April 05, 2008

Derby Musings

Nick Zito makes no excuses for War Pass. Now that's integrity. Maybe he's not quite the super horse we were hoping for but he's certainly a horse that demands everything his way.

Denis of Cork ducked the heavies in an attempt to maintain his pristine record and ended up rating on a speed bias track. Not so good.

Colonel John passed a valiant Bob Black Jack in the final strides of the Santa Anita Derby. Am I the only one who doesn't take the prep races in California seriously? Hey, didn't the purse used to be a million?

Florida-bred Ginger Punch faded badly in the Apple Blossom. So now you know who I was rootin' for. Nope, I refuse to open an account with TVG. I've got a magnet on my fridge that says: "I used to have money, now I have horses."

Yes, with a modicum of hesitation, I did take last Thursday off. My excuses are always front and center, so I just made myself do it. It's been awhile since we canoed on the Oklawaha. Great day, but strangeness pervaded as the gators and other critters were uncharacteristically shy. Traffic was non-existent and it IS almost gator breeding season when they tend to haughtily stand their ground (or waters). Michael recorded an owl very near on our digital camera. This is cool:


No comments: